Our Trip To D.C.

Brrrr...  Back from D.C. and I was expecting warmer weather. After five days the dogs were excited to see us and I sure missed them. I have two shadows now as they aren't too sure about my long term stay.

We had a wonderful time on our trip and got to have dinner with a high school classmate who was best man in our wedding. I love it when you can reconnect and it seems like you pick up where you left off; no matter how much time has elapsed.

We made a special trip to Arlington to visit my cousin's gravesite. He was ahead of me in school and was always my hero. Probably because he was so nice and didn't tease me when I wanted to "hang around" the older kids. I had been to Arlington once before but this time it took on a more personal feeling. As you look across the fields of white headstones sparkling in the sun you feel almost overwhelmed. Some of the headstones are larger and they represent groups of men who died at the same time. There are also spouses and of course veterans like Johnny. That doesn't count the men and women who were returned to their hometown cemeteries. I put together this picture in Instagram and sent it Johnny's son. I thought it was a good way to show the pictures since when his family was there for the service there was no marker or sod placed.


This post took on a more somber tone so I will try to be more uplifting in the future. I will end on a lighter note. My new favorite quote:  "If Dorothy can click her heels together and get to Kansas, why can't I click my flip flops together, and get to the beach?"  Enough cold weather for this Kansas girl!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha...Maybe if you get some red glitter and glue at the craft store and give those flips some jazzing, you could do some clicking and then see where it gets you!

    Your collage that you made for John's family is very special, I'm sure it will be appreciated..So very thoughtful of you.

    Sending some warm weather to you from the Pac. NW...if you can even believe it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked! We have some nice weather now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: